October 25, 2017

National Domestic Violence Awareness Month

October is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month

I used to shrug these sort of things off -- now it seems ironic.  
Ironic that I have lived (and survived!) EVERY facet of Domestic Violence.  
I will no doubt be writing much more on the subject in the future. 

But, for now, I want to implore you who are where I used to think I was...

Pause for a moment... 
it is guaranteed that each of you know AT LEAST
one couple/man/woman who is either currently in, or has been in, an abusive relationship.

I am asked many questions by others.

The top two I want to encourage you all to think about today is :

HOW DO YOU KNOW?
HOW CAN YOU HELP??

Here are some articles that I recommend:



(above is a collection I put random articles in which I identify with and which pertain to this subject)



  • I also recommend you know where your local help is found - shelters, counselors, etc.

For me, an agency called the Crystal Judson Family Justice Center here in Tacoma, WA helped me immensely.  
As did counselors who recognized the severity of the situation even before I did.  
At the beginning, only a small handful of close friends were privy to the abuse I was FINALLY acknowledging and confronting.  
Of that "handful," only a few believed me.  
And I am FOREVER thankful for them!!! (YOU know who you are! )
It is because of this small support team I was directed to get help.  
I would never had known what to do on my own... never.
I would never have been able to withstand the pressure to stay.
(Please note, the term "pressure" can be swapped with "abuse.")
Pressure from my Abuser.  
Pressure from my family.  

Pressure from "my church."


Pressure from my "friends." 
And even pressure from myself 
(being embarrassed and afraid of what others would say if they knew the truth)
.... and I would likely have stayed without help... to my death.
(And at the cost of my children's lives too.)
Never underestimate the strength one friend beside a person can give -- be that friend!


Stay tuned!!
2018 will hold many more writings on this subject, in hopes of helping people in these sort of relationships, people trying to get out, and friends/family wanting to help!